Saturday, February 19, 2011

Escape From Iguana Island

Wherein I get lost. Repeatedly.

So I made it to Jacksonville. As soon as I got on the ferry to go to the air terminal I realized I had forgotten to grab my (or Edwin's depending on how you look at it) jacket. The flight wasn't too bad, and a lot of people I work with were on the same flight so I wasn't completely on my own while finding my luggage and getting my rental car.  Jacksonville is kind of overwhelming after being on GTMO so long. 45 mph feels really fast! Especially when the speed limit is 50. Let's just way I wasn't making friends.

One of my co-workers asked me to give him a ride to pick up his car and since it was in the same direction as the used book store I had heard so much of I decided to go ahead and visit the book store before checking into my hotel since it closes at 6 and doesn't open on Sundays.

The place wasn't hard to find. I wish i had had a camera. After not seeing a bookstore in 6 months this was like showing up at the holy land. I almost cried and I did actually get lost. When they describe this place as labyrinthine they are being dead set honest. Seriously, you could hide a minotaur in that place and the only way you would notice if is customers started to go missing. It was only the thought that i need something other than books and hardbacks way too much that kept me limited to $40.

So then i roll back up to the gate to the base and hand over my cac card and rental agreement. He scans it, smiles, starts to hand it back, then frowns and looks at it harder and goes," Who is Aimee Millspaugh?" I responded with a very clarifying, "Huh?" I finally managed to get out that it was my maiden name and I'm not sure where enterprise got it from. I mean i reserved my car through dts, i paid with my government travel card, i gave them my driver's license with my married name, and they even greeted me as Ms. Morrison when I walked up to the desk. So why the fuck does my car rental agreement that I use to get on the base not match my id?!?!? So he let me in, but he told me to get it checked out...

Unfortunately the place closes at 5 and this event occurred at 6, they don't open on Sunday, and i fly out on Monday morning... so there's no getting that fixed... So now I'm afraid to leave the base in case they won't let me back on... so maybe I'll just hit the nex tomorrow and do my heavy shopping in Huntsville. Either way I need a hoodie or sweater of some kind. Its frickin cold. But god I would love to wander around that super target a block from base... the thing is the size of a mall! I feel old.

So i got lost in the bookstore, i got lost on base (twice) and now I'm not leaving my fucking room again tonight.

Traveling alone sucks.

3 comments:

  1. have a headache bad enough i just chewed pain killers... tasted worse than i remembered... apparently am staying in bizzaro hotel, couldn't find vending machines, tried calling front desk to ask about tasty beverages, got busy signal, climbed to the 4th floor, found vending machine, it took my 65 cents. i fed it a dollar , got my diet coke, crisis averted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish you where coming to visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready. I might have no money to shop with, but at least I can help you spend yours.

    ReplyDelete